Pain in the forearm after weight training. Suffering from Tennis elbow. Remedy?

I do weight training. Lately i have pain in my right forearm. I guess I am suffering from Tennis elbow. I have reduced the weight training. What are the remedies for it ?

Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 3 hours later

The following symptoms are mostly suggestive of Tennis Elbow - Pain on lateral side of elbow, Pain radiating to forearm, Pain is worse when shaking hands or squeezing objects; can make pain worse by stabilizing or moving the wrist with force.

I would suggest you to first take rest till pain is relieved as pain indicates active inflammation. Even after pain is relieved, you should reduce weight lifting to prevent future attacks.

Later you can apply Ice or cold to the elbow: 15 mins up to six times a day. This will help reduce pain and inflammation if present.

You can take anti-inflammatory medications which are available over the counter like Paracetamol 500 mg twice daily after food.

Even after taking rest and drugs if you do not get relief then consult orthopedist who might recommend Cortisone injection.
Steroids reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
More than two cortisone injections without relief are unlikely to benefit the patient.

Doctor might advise you Elbow brace which redirects the pull of misaligned muscles and relieves pain.

You can try Tennis Elbow Exercises. Physiotherapist can guide for this. Simple exercises make dramatic changes.

One last option in non-surgical therapy is Extra corporeal shock wave therapy. This triggers healing process in elbow joint.

Last thing is Surgery.
Arthroscopic surgery is best which allows surgeon to look in to joint and ensure there is no other source for the pain, and also allows for removal of damaged tendon without detachment of the tendon from the bone.

But you need to consult orthopedist to confirm about tennis elbow and to rule out other things like arthritis or nerve entrapment syndrome, small fractures at radial head due to trauma during exercises or bursitis.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubts I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.