Pain in the ear, shoulder and hips. Difficulty in carrying weight on shoulder. Treatment options?

Ayurveda Specialist
I have a pain that runs from the left ear through the shoulder to hips.

Also, I find it difficult to carry weight on my left shoulder (any hanging bags etc).

I have been keen on taking up Ayurveda for this issue, pls let me know what is possible and what is not in Ayurveda.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 4 hours later

I have gone through your brief history. Well with just this much of description it is not very easy to reach any diagnostic conclusions, as pain is only a symptom of some underlying pathology. The reports of your tests or already reached diagnosis will definitely aid to form an opinion. We need to know the status of your blood presuure, sugars, digestion, response to cold weather or if there are any aggravation factors before considering what may be causing the pain. A proper prescription can be made after diagnosing the cause.

Hence I encourage you to visit a doctor nearby who can evaluate you,.

Just going by this version of left sided pain, I feel this might be due to some spondylitic changes, wrong postures, muscular involvement or even just stress related. Some herbs that can relieve pain are Guggul, vidhara mool, XXXXXXX , shilajit, etc. They are some prominent ingredients that promise relief.

Regarding your question as to what is possible and what is not possible in ayurveda, all diseases are grouped in three categories XXXXXXX [easily curable] yapya [curable after long treatment] and asadhya [disease can not be cured but relief can be offered]. Our approach is not to cure disease only but to restore perfect health to body. And accordingly, Herbs have two types of actions, primary action and secondary action. Primary is to cure disease and secondary is for the benefit of other systems in body.

Proper treatment after having details of Desh, Kal , XXXXXXX and Dosh status helps to detoxify the body and restore perfect health. Apart from this in specific cases Panch karma is ayurvedic speciality.

I hope I have answered your query and enlightened about ayurveda briefly.

Wish you a perfect health.

Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul
Follow-up: Pain in the ear, shoulder and hips. Difficulty in carrying weight on shoulder. Treatment options? 14 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

My only concern was how effective is Ayurveda for nervous issues, can it detect it. Like at the finger tops esp the one next to little finger on left hand, I can feel a stretch or vibration most of the time of late. The whole left + these kind of make me feel its more to do with nerves, (I might be wrong). I am keen on taking up Ayurveda, but need conformance from specialist its a good path to take and thier honest opinion.
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 8 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

The type of nervous involvement you are experiencing is fully dealt in ayurveda. The terminology may be different compared to modern scientific medicine. We base our diagnosis on imbalance in three pillars forming body regarded as Vaat; Pit and Kaph.

Going from details furnished by you there is vaatic imbalance. The nerve compression at some foramina is many a time responsible for pain. The fingers you are pointing at indicate that your ulnar nerve is under compression which may be any where from neck to wrist where ever it passes from tunnel. This nerve is responsible for supply to little finger and the adjacent finger.

There are number of medicines to reduce the compression and restore normalcy. XXXXXXX guggul , R compound and Triodashang guggul will strengthen the nerves and remove compression and restore vaatic balance. Hot fomentation also helps a bit. Local application of medicated oils supports quick restoration.

Have no fears and reservations; in cases like this there is total recovery with ayurvedic medicines.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have any further queries, do close the discussion. Yet, I am available to address any other concerns that you might have.