Pain in neck, shoulders, arms and tingling in fingers. Had CT scan of cervical spine. What could it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
After years of pain and vertigo I was given a CT scan done in January 2013 on my cervical spine which showed C4/5 mild facet joint hypertrophy, Due to continuing neck pain and dizziness/vertigo I was sent for a CT scan in January 2013. Results showed at C5/6 a mild irregularity of the disc end plate with posterior osteophytes and C6/7 a posterior osteophyte to the left with mild diffuse disc bulge. I have continuous pain in my neck, burning pain in my shoulders, scapular and arms and at times tingling in my fingers. Sometime it feels like my head isn't sitting on my neck properly and it just wobbles. I've had physiotherapy, chiropractic and osteopathic treatments along with regular massages but nothing seems to help. I also suffer with ongoing sinus congestion under my eyes. Is the neck related to the sinus congestion or visa versa.causing the vertigo as well. I've had whiplash a few times from car accidents in my 20's and fell down the railway station steps in my 30's. I'm now 55 yrs old. I cannot lift anything and even putting my arms in sleeves or reaching around my back is agony. Any suggestions where to go from here would be very much appreciated. Regards XXXX
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do MRI for better diagnosis

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
Due to compression of this nerve root there is tingling numbness in your arm and pain associated with facet arthropathy .
I will advise you to MRI cervical spine for better diagnosis.

For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started.
Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief.
I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

If nerve compression becomes severe later on then surgical decompression will give permanent relief.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.