Pain in legs, feet and twitching. EMG is clear. Taking sertraline and carbamazepine. Suggestions?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
I have had pain in my legs and feet and twitching for the last four months. I have seen my neuro and GP several times and the both said nothing serious is happening. I have had short periods of this in the last 2 years and had an EMG, which was clear. I just need a diagnosis. I take sertraline and carbamazepine
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibilities include peripheral neuropathy and...

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your description, the most likely diagnosis in your case would be peripheral neuropathy. Pain in legs and feet commonly occur in peripheral neuropathy, a disease of leg nerves. Other symptoms that could be there in this condition are tingling, burning, weakness, etc. Common underlying causes include diabetes and EMG, the most likely cause would be benign fasciculations syndrome (BFS). In this condition, twitching in muscles occur, but there is no weakness or thinning of muscles.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Pain in legs, feet and twitching. EMG is clear. Taking sertraline and carbamazepine. Suggestions? 34 minutes later
I don't have any weakness and my reflexes were normal 2 would I be getting weakness with ALS

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your features are not like ALS

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

In ALS, there would be wasting (thinning of muscles) as well as weakness of affected muscles. In addition, the reflexes would be exaggerated. So, your clinical examination findings are not suggestive of ALS. Moreover, the EMG too was normal.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Pain in legs, feet and twitching. EMG is clear. Taking sertraline and carbamazepine. Suggestions? 11 minutes later
One more question please. My GP says they are not fascilitations because they are not visible

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fasciculations can be seen or felt

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Fasciculations are muscle twitchings that can be either seen or felt. So, if you have seen them, they are there. They are not present all the time, so, it is possible that when your GP examines, then, you may not have fasciculations at that time. In that case, you can hyperventilate (breathe in and out for a few minutes), this manoeuvre may bring out the hidden fasciculations.

In some other cases, fasciculations can be brought out by giving a neostigmine injection (should be always done in ward or ER room setting).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)