Pain in left side of head, neck and lower back. What could be the underlying cause?

I am 50 ,truck driver, male smoker, on Friday I woke up with what I thought was a stiff neck and went to work, that night I still was having pain in left hand side head, neck and lower back, it became severe and couldn't move or sleep in bed. spent sat on lounge all day in pain. the pain subsided on sat afternoon but was still there although I was up and about. sunday was same, today I worked pain still prominate left neck collarbone area down to lower back buttock collarbone on left at start near middle is very tender to touch and it hurts to cough. thank you.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: A course of pain-killers + muscle relaxants reqd Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. From the information provided, the possibilities are :- * Spasm of the neck and shoulder muscles, which commonly occur during sloppy/awkward posture during sleep. Condition is called "Wry neck" or Torticollis. A short course of combination of anti-inflammatory pain-killers (such as, ibuprofen + paracetamol) plus muscle-relaxants (such as, chlorzoxazone) thrice daily for 4-5 days will give complete relief. * Cervical spondylosis, which is due to disc herniation. For diagnosis of this condition, MRI Neck spine is required. * At times, chronic smokers develop hacking dry cough (called smoker's cough). There is an abrupt, momentary, drastic increase in thoracic pressure which can result in bursting of the cavity around the lungs. However, this is less likely in your case. Consult your doctor who will order relevant tests and, based on the findings, will prescribe drugs which are best for you. Hope I have answered your query. It would be a pleasure addressing to further clarifications, if any. Fond regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal