Pain in left hip and elbow. What should I do?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
My left hip has a large amount of pain, as well as my left elbow with my hip I cant seen to climb, walk, run I cant lay on my left side at night in bed I put an pillow between my legs but that doesn't seen to help I take advil thro out the night to help dull the pain at work I do a lot of lifting , shovelling and climbing. I am thinking arthritis I know my mother had it, but when I try to do my job the pain is constant no relief, I am in such pain from it. what such I do? or what can I do?
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pain relief and see orthopaedic surgeon. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. There are two aspects to your management that need to be addressed as soon as possible to improve your quality of life. Firstly, You need better pain relief. I think you would benefit from additional pain-killers. I suggest regular paracetamol, continue the advil and consider a morphine-based pain-killer such as codeine. Your doctor may need to prescribe this. Physiotherapy may help build up core and hip muscles to support your hip better and reduce the pain. Secondly, you need a diagnosis so that definitive treatment options can be explored. I suggest you see an orthopaedic surgeon who may recommend an MRI. Arthritis would be the most likely diagnosis. You are relatively young to be suffering so badly from arthritis. There may be treatment options suitable that will provide pain relief and delay the need for a joint replacement. This would only be possible to know when the extent of the joint disease is known. I hope these suggestions are of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA