Pain in left breast. Found some density in ultrasound. Referred for biopsy. Suspect a cyst. Curable?

Question
HI Doctors, My name is XXXX.I had pain in my left breast ,it is warmer then the right one and the nipple is kind of very sensitive . My family doctor just found that there is some density in mt left breast from ultrasound, she is reffering me for biopsey ,I am really tensed , they are suspecting there is a cyst, is it curable or managable.
Would you please answer me.
Thanks
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be a cyst or an abscess.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs XXXX,

Thanks for posting the query.

From the description you have provided I suspect it could be a cyst or an abscess. But I will not be able to rule out the possibility of a more sinister thing like a cancer without biopsy.

Generally cancers are painless, and are very hard, a cyst feels more like a fluid filled soft ball.

So without the privilege of clinically examining you I would have to go with the assessment of your doctor.

So, if what you have is a cyst, relax, it can be taken out completely without doing any harm to you, cysts are easily managed and particularly in the breast they can be easily removed by a simple surgical procedure.

cysts are also commonly painless, considering the increased warmth in the breast and pain, I suspect it could be an infection of the breast tissue. In which case a drainage of the cyst along with a course of antibiotics for a period of 10 to 14 days will cure the problem.

In both cases the treatment is easy and is curative, hence I suggest you relax and go ahead with the biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. You can write back to me with the biopsy report in case you want to discuss further.

I hope this answers your query effectively. Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Wishing you speedy recovery and good health.

Warm regards,

Follow-up: Pain in left breast. Found some density in ultrasound. Referred for biopsy. Suspect a cyst. Curable? 19 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr. XXXXXXX
I will go for the Biopsey, it will take time to get an appoinment for the biopsey in here.

I live in Toronto,Canada, WE have to wait for the specialists appoinment,now it is very painfull, my family doctor gave me inflametory medication Naproxine , for now.
Would you please let me know that cyst or density turns in to cancer of not,what is the possibility.

Allah bless you

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cyst will not turn into cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs. XXXX,

Thank you for writing back.

Do not worry, a simple cyst will not turn into a cancer.

However I would like to point this out, if it is very painful with increased warmth and if you can see any redness around the area then it is more likely to be an abscess. In which case you should visit your Primary care physician again and get the abscess drained by a simple incision and you will need a course of antibiotics.

Along with this you should also get some basic blood work done like complete hemogram and blood culture which will help in confirming if it is an abscess.

Please see your doctor again to get these tests done. Cold compress will help relieve the pain you can try that along with the painkillers.

Write back to me if you need any further assistance.

Wishing you all the very best.

Warm regards,

Follow-up: Pain in left breast. Found some density in ultrasound. Referred for biopsy. Suspect a cyst. Curable? 56 minutes later
What is abscess, does it turn as cencer.
Thank you so much

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, abscess does not turn into cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs XXXX,

Thanks again for writing back.

No, abscess is a collection of pus. It does not turn into cancer.

Some times when there is an infection in the body it gets localized as a result of the immune response from our body thus limiting the spread of infection, this results in a localized collection pus, which we call an abscess.

I hope this clears your doubt.

Warm regards,

Follow-up: Pain in left breast. Found some density in ultrasound. Referred for biopsy. Suspect a cyst. Curable? 9 hours later
So when does it become cancer or when do a doctor suspect that it is cancer. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cancer is a separate entity.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs. XXXX,

Thanks for the followup.

Cancers develop as separate entities, cancer does not develop from an abscess or a simple cyst.

We suspect cancer when there are other signs like, significant weight loss, decreases appetite, a hard mass in the breast, blood tinged discharge from the nipple, all these without any pain and sometimes along with involvement of lymph nodes.

If your doctor, after examining you did not feel that the issue was cancer, I would go with him/her.

In some rare cases, the cancer can present like a cyst, that happens when the inner most cells of the cancer die out due to lack of blood supply leading to formation of a cavity which feels like a cyst. Hence the advice to undergo the biopsy.

But if all this started with pain then I do not suspect cancer. Because, pain in cancer of the breast is a very late phenomenon. You would have a lump for a long time, for years before you get any pain.

Please get the biopsy done to be absolutely sure of what the cause is and then you can decide on the further course of action in accordance with your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.

Warm regards,