Pain in chest. Have leaky mitral valve prolapse. What may be the cause?

Question
having this pain in the middle of my chest and some time a little more on the right side of chest.I have a leaky Mitral valve prolapse but all my test indicated that I was just fine and noting was getting worse.What can this be why i'm having pain in the middle of my chest?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 21 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Presence of one problem always draws attention to it for any other symptom / but it does not necessarily mean and is usually not - from it...The pain is atypical and may not have any relation to the valve!

You have not said of any characteristics of the pain – pain from the heart is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, relieved by rest, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on
Your symptoms do not suggest CAD.

Get yourself examined / Have an X-ray chest /
And it is better to have a Treadmill Exercise Electrocardiogram (TMT). If it is normal, nothing to do

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Pain in chest. Have leaky mitral valve prolapse. What may be the cause? 36 minutes later
My pain its in the middle of my chest lately never experienced this before.I went to the emergency room last week and they did give me many test like EKG XXXXXXX ECO. The test result was ok.
What if I have coronary microvascular disease ??
None of the test could have detected this disease.My symptoms are real I need to find out before it is to late.How can I get tested for microvascular disease?

Thank much!!!

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later

There is a dictum in Medicine, "If you diagnose a rare disease, you are rarely right"... Micro-vascular disease is a diagnosis of exclusion...it is diagnosed, when angina is definite, and thallium stress test is positive, but the angiogram is negative.. One needs invasive investigation (coronary angiogram) to suggest it...
You are young / the problem is unusual without a bad family history / bad personal history (smoking; alcohol; obesity; high cholesterol; sedentary life; blood pressure; diabetes etc etc...)
All the organs in chest (and abdomen) develop in the mid-line and later shift to their final position. Most pains usually start in the middle / shift later...You have not said of characteristics of the pain – pain from the heart is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, relieved by rest, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on.

It could be chest wall muscle pain. Spine, Oesophagus, Lungs - any structure there may be responsible. CT scans ,endoscopy may help

Follow-up: Pain in chest. Have leaky mitral valve prolapse. What may be the cause? 10 hours later
Thank you.
My pain is tight,sharp,straits in the middle of my chest.The ER gave me many test like EKG, ECO, X-RAY, CE. All the test were good and they sent me back home.But my pain is keep going.It get better when I'm resting and in the day come and go.When the pain come it is a mix of left sharp pain then it moves to the center of the chest and lately start on the middle of the chest more toward the right.I don't know why it wont stop.I don't have any blockage but I'm afraid that some thing else is going on.This is way I was thinking of Micro-vascular disease because it is very hard to detect and my symptoms are very similar to a hart attack or hard failure.Please help.

Hi

The description is not at all suggestive of heart pain.
Go for a stress EKG (preferably with thallium) and/or stress ECHO - that will exclude vascular disease.../and will reassure you

Have other areas investigated, as suggested...again more to rule out most of your suspicions, than rule in a specific condition....

Anxiety can account for all these -
Try muscle relaxants / antacids and anxiolytic agents.
Have diversion; hobbies / enjoy life - nothing will happen to you

All the best

Follow-up: Pain in chest. Have leaky mitral valve prolapse. What may be the cause? 4 hours later
What if all this is because Lyme Disease?? I just learn from a doctor this could be the cause of my heart and chest bing so off....

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Symptoms of nerve irritation do occur in Lyme, both in early and late stages.... But it s not an isolated one and is usually overshadowed by other features. The doubt can be cleared by blood test.

Follow-up: Pain in chest. Have leaky mitral valve prolapse. What may be the cause? 3 hours later
Thank you so much.What kind of blood test do I need? What are the name of the test?

Thanks

Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay (ELISA) is the first thing to be done.
In borderline or positive cases, specific Western Blot IgM is done...

God luck