Pain and swelling in the forearm. Any natural analgesic?

General Surgeon
My Lt forearm started hurting a couple weeks ago approx 1" below the elbow radiating down for 3" or so. I assume it is a muscle strain as I do a lot of heavy lifting, digging, etc. The pain has spread to include above the elbow and near the wrist. It improves with rest, wrapping it helps however, it makes my hand swell! Now, my Rt elbow is starting to hurt.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 54 minutes later

Pain around left elbow and in the upper part of forearm suggest it as a case Tennis Elbow or Arthritis of elbow joint.

Doing heavy work or lifting of heavy weight or digging precipitates sign and symptoms.

It don't appear as a simple muscle strain or sprain.

Now you are also having or observing swelling of hand.

As sign and symptoms improve with rest or wrapping, it suggest some micro trauma due to heavy lifting or digging as seen in tennis elbow.

In such cases, investigation in the form of X-Ray and Orthopedic Surgeon opinion is desirable.

Rest to elbow and forearm, ice pack, elevation of affected elbow and analgesic for few days can give substantial relief.

Hope, I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Pain and swelling in the forearm. Any natural analgesic? 1 hour later
I forgot to mention that grasping and twisting exasperate s/s increasing in severity with any added weight i.e. folding clothes, doing dishes, holing my tea! How much rest should I give it, my house is a mess!
Follow-up: Pain and swelling in the forearm. Any natural analgesic? 5 hours later
Do you know of any natural analgesic? Should I continue to stretch and workout?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 15 hours later

Nice to hear from you again.

As grasping and twisting exaggerate symptoms, increasing in severity with any added weight i.e. folding clothes, doing dishes, holding tea, these all suggest a case of Tennis Elbow.

I under stand your house hold problem, but giving some rest as much as possible is desirable.

Continuing work and strech will delay your recovery and healing both.

In allopathy we read, use and know about allopethic drugs only. So I always like simple safe analgesics only.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.