Pain and stiffness in the neck due to a lump. Suggestions?

hi i am a 45 year old male and i have a lump on the left side of my neck, i haven't seen a doctor yet because i don't have insurance. I have had it for a year or so now but it has gotten bigger and my neck gets stiff and hurts sometimes now. What do you think it might be?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

There are several reasons of a lump in the neck. These include:
a. Benign tumour like lipoma
b. An enlarged lymph node due to a bacterial/viral infection
c. Cysts such as sebaceous cysts
d. A possibility of a malignant mass must also be considered.

A clear examination is definitely useful to understand the nature of the lump. I would suggest that you consult your primary care physician who would be able to evaluate the mass completely. These days a lot of PCP's discount the fee if a patient visits their clinic without insurance. You can even negotiate the fee. In the best interests I advice you to get examined and confirm the benign nature of the lump.

I hope I have answered your question. Please accept my answer oif you have no further queries.