Pain and soreness inside belly button, pink drainage. No fever. History of belly button infection after laparoscopy. Do I need an oral antibiotic?

I have had two laparoscopic surgeries and had a belly button infection right after the 2nd. Surgery almost 5 years ago. I started having pain and soreness inside my belly button about a week ago and have been cleaning with peroxide and using bactroban cream but it doesn't seem to be getting better. No fever or other symptoms, just light pink drainage and soreness. Do you think that I need an oral antibiotic?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The symptoms you are having are concerning. You're doing all the correct things at this point in trying to limit any progression of a mild infection. In your case and light of the duration of symptoms it is my opinion that you may benefit from an antibiotic by mouth.

Of course a prescription must be obtained from your Bactroban cream in addition to the peroxide rinses. At some point within the next several days I would recommend that you visit with your primary care physician for focused examination and consultation.

However, if you develop any systemic symptoms such as fever or shaking chills I suggest you reports the emergency department immediately for evaluation.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert