Ask a Dentist   »  

Pain and sensitivity to hot and cold after having fillings in teeth, tender scalp. Correlation?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I recently (3-4 weeks ago) had fillings in three wisdom teeth. I've had some dull pain & sensitivity to hot/cold since, but not enough to make me return to the dentist. Now I have developed a tender/sensitive scalp (past couple days), for no other apparent reason. Wondering if there could be a corrolation?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later

Ideally, once the fillings are done there should not be any sensitivity in the teeth because the tubules in your teeth would be sealed. However, sometimes if the filling is XXXXXXX it may cause mild sensitivity, which goes in a couple of days.

As you are experiencing this discomfort even after 3-4 weeks, I would strongly recommend you to visit your dentist. He may take x-rays of the filled teeth to determine the source of pain.

Pain/sensitivity in the teeth due to persisting infection or involvement of nerves in the tooth can lead to tenderness/pain in the jaw, ear reaching up to the scalp. However, it is unusual to have tenderness specifically in scalp without any other area being involved.

If you have any other query, I would be happy to help you.