Pain and reduced mobility in arm after fall, normal radiograph. Can fractures be missed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi have fallen today (out of bed) landing on my right shoulder. Attended a and e for very sharp pain in the middle of my clavicle. Normal radiographs and given standard advice re analgesia and mobilising for arm - constant dull throbbing pain - score about 6 but becomes vsharp stabbing on bending forward and on trying to stretch/ pull shoulders back (to score 8/9) Very tender to touch at quite focal area with some swelling but no bruising. Can fractures be missed and does itmake any difference? Couold i have damaged a tendon or ligament in this area? Thanks for your help
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
From your description, a soft tissue injury seems to be a more likely possibility. X-rays can sometimes miss a minor or hairline fractures.
You need to immobilize your arm using an arm sling, take analgesics and do a cold compress in the area of injury. In case the pain and swelling is persistent then an MRI scan is advisable which is the best test in detecting the minor fractures and soft tissue injuries.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.