Pain and bruise on the leg, swollen ankle, overweight. Have Parkinson's disease. Venous insufficiency?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I woke up today with a large bruise on the left side of my left leg near the knee. It does not hurt but is long and slightly curved as if following the line of a vein. I think I have venous insufficiency as my legs ache endlessly, my ankles are swollen and I once had a cut on my inside ankle which took ages to heal - or else its peripheral vascular disease? I find it hard to stand, sit , lie or walk in comfort at the moment. I have Parkinson's disease and I am overweight (after being underweight for so long). I have mentioned leg problems 2 or 3 times to my doctor but nothing hasbeen checked. Should I go again? Or just get some compressor tights?.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later

Your symptoms are suggestive of venous insufficiency more than a peripheral arterial disease.

The common symptoms being pain, venous engorgement, tortuous veins, bruisability or venous ulcers, edema or swelling of leg, etc.

You should consult a general surgeon and get yourself evaluated and investigated. The doctor might order a venous doppler ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis.

Compression bandage and leg elevation are initial measures of conservative management, but in later stages or in presence of venous ulcer, it may not be advisable.

So, kindly get diagnosed and once the cause and severity are assessed then appropriate treatment can be advised by your surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.