Pain and bruise on the forearm after blood drawn for lipid tests. How can it be treated?

I had lipids test done on Wednesday. I had a lot of blood drawn. The next day I felt some pain and now there is a large red bruise surrounded by black and blue. It is half of my forearm. I have been icing it down. There is still some pain. Should I have it looked at. The bruising is large, red and severe. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Your symptoms are suggestive of thrombophlebitis. This is a condition of inflammation of veins that may also be associated with blood clot formation in the vein.It can occur after taking blood samples.

It should go on its own.Apply some cold compresses on the site and take some over the counter like ibuprofen or diclofenac.

In some cases however the phlebitis can become infected. This can be a very serious problem needing urgent treatment with antibiotics.So you should look out for any fever or lymph node enlargement. If it occurs then you may need a course of oral antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.