Overweight in abdominal area, constipation, sweating, abdominal pain, smelly hair, rashes on arms

hi my 8 year old has been back and forth to doctors they just arnt doing any test iam a nurse and know something is noy right she is overweight no one else is it seems to be in abdomen only .she sweats all the time has constipation,ha and now seems to be having little breakdowns.she also has has abdominal pain all the time.and her hair smells bad.she also gets these lirrle zits on back off arms looks like heat rash
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 42 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

You have reported symptoms of bloated abdomen (since only overweight in abdominal area), sweating, constipation, pain in abdomen, occasional breakdown and rashes on her arms in an 8 year old girl. You have provided me with good information.

Based on the information provided, I can think of the following possibilities:
1. If she having bowel movements each day? - If her bowel movements are less frequent than usual and appear particularly hard, she may be constipated. Sometimes simple diet changes can ease constipation, but consult your child's doctor. Her stomach may also appear bloated and be firm to the touch.

2. Lactose intolerance - Is her pain worse after drinking milk or eating other dairy products? Have you tried eliminating all dairy products from her diet for a week or two to see if it makes a difference?

3. Infections - This may include infections caused by parasites or bacteria. You should do a stool culture to test her for parasites, like Giardia.

4. constipation and diarrhea, bloating, and passage of stools with mucus.

5. Celiac disease - intolerance to gluten, which is found in wheat, rye, and barley, and can cause cramping abdominal pain, oily stools, and anemia. Avoid gluten based diet for few days and observe changes.

6. Gastritis or heartburn - which can cause a burning pain in a child's lower chest or upper abdomen.

Increase her fibre content in diet, increase fresh fruits and vegetables in her diet, avoid peeling skin of fruits and vegetables to retain fibre content.
Increase amount of fluids .Make her to wash her hands properly before meals every day.
For heat rashes: You could apply prickly heat powder and calamine lotion over the area where heat rash has developed. Also use cotton clothes when she has rashes.

Smelly hairs could be due to sweat, improper drying of hair, fungal infection. You could get it examined by a dermatologist who will be prescribe an antimicrobial shampoo, also you use a fruit based conditioner which will prevent such smells.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept the answer if you have not further queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Overweight in abdominal area, constipation, sweating, abdominal pain, smelly hair, rashes on arms 2 hours later
She has daily stools,just dosnt seem like much. No dirrhea no intolerance to milk or gluten. We have already looked in to that x XXXXXXX was done of stomach. Hair is hair dried everynight . Have already tried special shampoos the smell is due to like a sweat. So is rash she sweats even at rest. She is heavy but is on low carb with lotsof fruits and veg and fat free milk. She eats whole wheat pasta .parasite test have been done could this be DM
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up and providing good additional information.

There are low chances about Diabetes Mellitus causing excessive sweating and hence smelly hair, but a possibility is there. You could check her Fasting and Post Prandial blood sugars.

One other possibility is Hyperthyroidism which causes frequent and excessive sweating. An overactive thyroid can increase the XXXXXXX body temperature, which in turn causes excessive head sweating. Do check T3, T4 and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels too.

Some children also gain weight due to Hyperthyroidism. This might be the reason for her weight gain too.

Also since she has no diarrhea, no intolerance to milk or gluten, negative parasite test and scanning does not show anything.

You could rule out possibility of functional dyspepsia. In this, there will be no sign of organic disease (inflammation or tissue injury). The pain comes on with eating. Antacids may relieve the pain. The pain is not relieved by having a bowel movement or linked to changes in the stool. The main symptoms may be pain, nausea, bloating, or feeling full. You could also do an Endoscopy to rule out other causes.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept the answer if you have no further queries.