Overweight and trying to conceive. Done with ultrasound scan. Will I conceive naturally?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi , I have been trying to conceive for the past 6 months. I am 37 years of age and overweight. My Doctor sent me for an ultrasound scan and is quite happy that I should conceive naturally but I am worried to death that something is wrong. I will type what the report says:

US Pelvis transabdominal & transvaginal
Poor quality image with limited resolution due to patient body habitus.
The uterus appears normal in size and echotexture with an endometrial thickness of 6.4mm LMP - day 27.
The right ovary has a volume of 10cc, the left ovary has a volume of 11cc. Both ovaries contain numerous small follicles. PCO cannot be excluded, suggest correlation with clinical biochemistry. No free fluid seen.

Do you see that I should be able to conceive naturally with the above report? What should my endometrial thickness be and my ovary volume?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 41 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX .

Well I can see nothing very abnormal in your report. The endometrial thickness varies according to the day of menstrual cycle. If this endometrial thickness is on day 27 of your cycle, then it it slightly below normal. The expected endometrial thickness should be greater than 8 to 10 mm in day 27 of your cycle if you are menstruating normally. The ovarian volume is fine.

As regards to your infertility is concerned, I think you need to do few more investigations other than an ultrasound as you are already 37.

I think you consult your gynecologist regarding this.

I think I have answered your query. If you have any more queries, I will be happy to answer them.
Thanks.
regards
DR. BISWAJIT DASH

Follow-up: Overweight and trying to conceive. Done with ultrasound scan. Will I conceive naturally? 4 hours later
How does endometrial thickness affect you conceiving or doesnt it? My doctor happy with all tests and says have good chance to conceive naturally

Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 1 hour later
Hello Mrs XXXXXXX
Thanks for your follow up question.
A good endometrial thickness of 8 to 10 mm by the time the egg is released ,is required for the fertilized egg to get implanted in your womb
Slowly the fertized egg develops into a baby.
All the best .
Good luck
Biswajit Dash,
ODISHA ,INDIA

Follow-up: Overweight and trying to conceive. Done with ultrasound scan. Will I conceive naturally? 3 hours later
So you think I will be able to conceive naturally

Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 3 hours later
Hello Mrs XXXXXXX

Definitely you have got fair chances of natural conception.

But only thing I am concerned is your Age. Age > 35 yrs has a direct impact on fertility as well as pregnancy outcomes.

So please go for few basic investigations like semen analysis of husband and tubal patency tests of yours soon.

Good Luck.

DR. BISWAJIT,
ODISHA,INDIA