Overweight and moderately athletic. Developed shoulder injury and low back pain. Prescribed Chlorzoxazone. Continue medication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 25 years old, 170cm and weight 110kg - overweight and moderately athletic. I have had a Gastrointestinal Infection 6 months ago that rendered me slightly lactose intolerant. As a result, I decided to stop eating dairy products altogether. Also, I have been lifting heavy weights for the past 10 months and barely get any sun exposure. Recently I have developed a shoulder injury as well as a feeling of decreased skeletal health and mobility. I visited an orthopedist two weeks ago to consult him about slight lower back pain. He advised me to do an MRI and test for my back and a vitamin D3 levels blood test. I I've just come out from my second visit with the doctor. He looked at my MRI report and said there's a light strain in the lower back and on the discs. My vitamin D3 levels are very low. He prescribed Chlorzoxazone 250mg, Loxoprofen sodium 60mg, pain relief cream, vitamin d3 1000 UI and physiotherapy for two weeks. I'm very conscious about the drugs I take and have been reading about NSAIDs and muscle relaxants. I feel they may not be necessary as I'm not much pain nor that I have a severe condition. Shall I continue taking the prescribed medication? Will physiotherapy, light exercise, proper supplementation and diet be enough to heal my joints?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physiotherapy, exercise and proper supplement are enough

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

You do not need to take the pain relief and muscle relaxant tablets unless you are in pain. however 2 weeks is really not to much and unlikely to cause harm to you especially if you take the NSAID after meals.

Physiotherapy should help you, but I would advice you to take some pain killers before you see them as you may not be able to do all the exercises if you are in too much pain.

You should continue on the vitamin D supplement for over a month at least.

best wishes