Overweight and exercise erratically. Having heartburn, numbness in hands, swelling of ankles and clutching sensation of oesophagus. Cure?

Dec 2012

Hi. I am a 67-year-old male, overweight -- 6'3", 240 lbs. I exercise, but erratically. I drink too much and too regularly. I have had multiple things going on recently that worry me: heartburn much more frequently than ever before; numbness/tingling in hands and arms, usually but not always in the last hours of sleeping in the early a.m.; a mild rash on my chest; slight swelling of my ankles; very occasionally, a clutching sensation of the esophagus when eating. None of these things is every day, but the tingling is probably every other day. (Prednison makes it go away.) Am I getting diabetes?
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems unrelated and non serious problems

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Looking through your description, I can clearly see that your symptoms might totally be unrelated and may not even mean that you are having a diseases condition such as diabetes. I would have loved to know if you meant, you are drinking too much water or alcohol. If drinking too much water and urinating too then you could be suffering from an acute metabolic complication of maybe diabetes. If that is the case, the only way to confirm is by screening for diabetes. Diabetes mellitus could complicate to you have most of the symptoms you have mentioned but that will mean that you must have been suffering from it for a long time now.
In the other hand if by drinking you meant alcohol, then that could explain the sudden increase in heartburn/acid reflux which could be a resulting ulcer developing.
In either case, I suggest you see a doctor as soon as you can. Even though symptoms are not regular and might mean nothing actually but the combination of those symptoms could imply that you are suffering from a more serious underlying diseases condition.
You will also require remedy for the heartburn such as antacids or h2 inhibitors and if severe, then you might require a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole.
Numbness/tingling sensation may imply peripheral neuropathy and could be as a result of complication from an underlying diseases condition.

Hope this helps and I do wish you all the best. Feel free to write back or accept my answer if satisfied.
Dr. Nsah