Overweight. Noticed numbness in thigh. Family history of diabetes. What is the underlying cause?

Radiologist
Question
Hi, the top only of my left thigh is numb from my hip to my knee? And starting on my right thigh worsens when I walk I'm 5'10 202#'s. Extra medical info my Dad was an insulin dependant diebetic
my normal fasting glucose is 98
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome and thank for writing in.
Your blood sugar is within normal limits. Also past is less likely related to present condition. One important issue is your weight, because you are quite overweight. Insulin dependent diabetes malitus is multifactorial disease which may seen in obesity also. However it will affect peripheral nerve first like toes or fingers first.
I want to know few things before further discussion.
1. Numbness is on which aspect of thigh, anterior or lateral or posterior. It is important because dermatomal distribution of nerve is different in various conditions.
2.on right side, is there similar complaints or radiculopathy?

Looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Follow-up: Overweight. Noticed numbness in thigh. Family history of diabetes. What is the underlying cause? 8 days later
The Anterior left thigh worsens upon walking allot starts to burn.
Right thigh not as bad same spot anterior from hip to knee only.
no toe or finger involvement.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 14 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
As there is no complaints involving toe and foot, diabetes induced peripheral neuropathy is ruled out. The region of thigh you are suffering is supplied by lumbar nerves mainly L1 to L3 .
The symptoms are most likely due to nerve root compression due to disc prolapse. It is of mld degree. You need one investigation MRIlumbar spine for complete diagnosis. Then mostly symptoms will resolve on physiotherapy and exercise. So need to worry too much as it is age related condition.
It will be better if you take advise from your orthopaedician specifically.

Hope I have answered your query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Overweight. Noticed numbness in thigh. Family history of diabetes. What is the underlying cause? 16 hours later
Why does it burn so much after walking & exercise?
It feels like the top layer of my skin on my thigh is seperated
from my muscle. It's fine while i'm sitting.

Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
Burning sensation after walking is known as claudication. It is different symptom as compared to previous one. It may associated with partial reduction in blood supply .
It needs a investigation Colour doppler study of lower leg veins to see the vessels supplying thigh area. If it comes normal then it is associated with nerve pathology only.
Though it is quite troublesome but there needs investigation for confirmation.
Hope for the best.

Regards.