Overweight. Have osteoarthritis, found iron and b 12 deficiency. Suggest effective medicine

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello. Have been Diagnosed with anemia and b 12 deficiency. It has been about a month and have been per doctor's orders taking Ferous Sulfate 325 mgs. I added to it suglnigual b 12 and also include a b vitamin 100 mgs supplement. So far blood work doesn't show a change. Here are readings: hematocrit: 27.8, Hgl of 8.5, white blood count 8,000, C-reactive protein 13.1.All else is normal. My ? is does it take time to build up the iron and b 12 levels and is there anything else I can do?
The fatigue is horrid.It seems I have bad days and good days.
Should also let you know I am overweight and also have osteoarthritis. I have tried to become more active with exercise, but don't have any energy. Also eating iron XXXXXXX foods.
Got one last thing to add to the above. Doctor say anemia MIGHT be due to NSAIDS and thus have stopped them completely and only use tylenol for pain. If needed he will order an endoscopy. Have been off NSAIDS for a month.
This will be my final addition to the above. i do not smoke, or drink alcohol,or use any illegal substances. My diagnosis given me is microcytic (not macro) hyperchromic anemia
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
One month of iron supplements is not enough for the blood counts to come back to normal and you need to take them for close to 6-8 weeks for the counts to normalize. MCV and MCH should come back within normal limits gradually. The same is true for vitamin B 12 levels.

In order to increase the iron/hemoglobin levels in the body, you can have iron XXXXXXX foods like liver, lean red meats, beans like kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils, iron fortified whole grains, XXXXXXX vegetables like spinach, tofu, broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, chicken, nuts, egg yolk and dry fruits. To get the most benefit from the pills, take them with vitamin C (ascorbic acid) pills or orange juice. Vitamin C helps your body absorb more iron. Avoid having tea.

You should also have iron supplements along with these foods. Avoid enteric-coated or prolonged-release preparations.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Overweight. Have osteoarthritis, found iron and b 12 deficiency. Suggest effective medicine 12 minutes later
Dear Dr. Tayal, Thank you for your information. it helps. I do take the iron supplements with 1000mgs. time realsed vitamin C. So, that is good. Will make certain the iron is not entreric coated. Right now I'm just taking one iron pill--ferous sulfate a day standard dose between breakfast and lunch. Might I increase this dosage without doing any damage and if so to what level? Thank you again. I appreciate your help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
There is no need to increase the dosage right away. Rather you can take a high protein diet like eggs and lean meat to have an early rise in hemoglobin levels.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Overweight. Have osteoarthritis, found iron and b 12 deficiency. Suggest effective medicine 39 minutes later
Thank you. You have really been helpful. I will work on a high protein regimen.
I truly appreciate your advice and thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 38 minutes later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards