Overweight. Have nodule located on lower abdomen, lower back. Suspected for lipomas or cysts. Prognosis?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question

I have a nodule located in my lower left abomen and my lower left back. I have had them for quite a while. I went to the doctor for it abou 6 months ago to have them checked out. The doctor immediately felt them and told me that they were either lipomas or cysts, he said that he could tll by the way the feel and they are located on top of the muscle between the fat. I was overweight last time I went to the doctor and have since gone on a strict duet and exercise daily and have lost 50 lbs. well as I have lost my belly fat, I have started to feel other lumps that feel the same as the other two. One of them is in almost the exact same spot on the lower right abdomen, and it feels like there is a small string of them across the center of my lower abdomen. They are not painful for the most part except for if I bend forward a certain way they can be sore. If I were to describe them, I would say that they are somewhat soft and you can sort of grab the edges of them if you push in to my stomach to grab them. I just want to know if it is normal to have multiple cysts or lipomas clustered in one general area, or if it sounds like thats what they could be.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 25 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

The history that you have mentioned are suggestive of multiple lipomas, cysts or neurofibromas.
All these lesions can be multiple, are painless and can be clustered in one particular area.

Since, the lesions are sofr, possibility of lipoma or neurofibroma is more likely.
However, these lesions are benign.

For diagnosis a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) and later excision can be done.
FNAC is the first investigation.
FNAC is an office procedure in which a fine needle is inserted into the lesion and the cellular material is aspirated.
The aspirated cells are stained and seen under the microscope.
This will determine the type and origin of the lesion.

Further the lesions can be excised surgically depending on the investigation result.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Overweight. Have nodule located on lower abdomen, lower back. Suspected for lipomas or cysts. Prognosis? 7 hours later
Thank you for our answer. Is it normal for you to be able to grab the sides of lipomas or neurofibromas? For example when I push into my stomach with my fingers I can feel the edges of these lumps, and can grab them. Also, like I said, they are mostly painless. Sometimes though I do feel some pain coming from my abdomen in that area, I'm not sure if its because of their location and maybe they are around some nerve endings?

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

Yes, it is possible to grab the sides of both lipoma and neurofibroma.
Both the lesions are discrete so the edges are well palpable.
Lipomas are not painful but when they are large enough they can cause pressure to surrounding structures or when it is in combination with another component e.g. angiolipoma, it can be painful.
However, it can be determined only after investigations.
Neurofibromas can be painful as they are arising from the nerves.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Overweight. Have nodule located on lower abdomen, lower back. Suspected for lipomas or cysts. Prognosis? 31 hours later
Hello, thank you for the answers. I have one more question for you. Now I may just be being paranoid and looking for things, but I noticed that I can feel a very small ball like lump on the left side of my neck, it feels like it is attached to the side tendon. It is very small, less than the size of a pea, and I have to have my neck positioned a certain way and push in sort of hard to even feel it. Any idea what this may be? I have not noticed it before and it is not painful. Also it does not stick out at all, so you really do have to push to feel it.

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Hello and welcome again,

The lump that you are feeling in the neck can be the same lesion that you have developed in the abdomen.
Since, the lesions are multiple crowded around the abdomen, it is possible to develop these lesions in any part of the body.

It is best to consult your doctor and to go for relevant investigations.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal