Overweight. Have 2 thrombosed hemorrhoids. Using epson salt, Metamucil and Prep H. What could be the reason?

General Surgeon
I have 2 thrombossed hemorrhoids that are external. I'm female and 40 years old, not overweight and drink lots of water daily. I also eat lots of fiber. My father had hemorrhoids, but my mother didn't. I've been taking 20 minute baths with Epson salts, at least two times a day. I've just started Metamucil and do this twice a day for hard stools. There has been no blood in my stool. I started taking Prep H, but then switched to Proctosol-HC 2.5% and Americaine Topical spray that a friend gave me. Her doctor gave her this after she had her baby. Hemorrhoid 1 started 7 days ago and #2 started yesterday. Am I doing the right thing and what do you suggest my next step should be? 5 yrs ago I did have a colonoscopy and my doctor determined that I had internal/external hemorrhoids. I also had polyps that he removed. He discovered that half of my stomach wasn't circulating blood and never could determine the reason for it.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

You are doing right thing to improve hemorrhoid issues. Everything you have mentioned is very good for hemorrhoids.
However there is one thing you need to know. Once the hemorrhoid appears, it can not be removed with medicine or diet. Hemorrhoid is an enlarged vein which can not shrink back. So mentioned by you steps can only make your hemorrhoids smaller, ease the symptoms, but it wont make the hemorrhoids disappear. Especially if they are thrombossed.
That is why, the only permanent cure is surgical removal of your hemorrhoids. You should visit general surgeon and discuss this possibility.

If it is about your colonoscopy, if during this test, polyps are removed, this test should be repeated in few years (it depends of how large were the polyp and how many polyps were removed). 5 years seems to be too long period without colonoscopy. So please discuss this with your doctor and get scheduled for colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.