Over weight, diabetic, on speed. Dangerous?

I have a friend who is 68 years old and over weight and diabetic, he is using speed and when I last spoke to him he was not making much sense. How XXXXXXX is it for him to be using this drug and could it make the diabetes worse?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later

Your friend has got many high risk factors like old age, being diabetic, overweight. All these conditions predispose for cardiac problems and at least increase the load on heart.

Speed is cardiac and cerebral stimulatory agent.

Speed increases blood flow to the peripheral organs, pumps more adrenaline into blood, increases cardiac work load, might shoot up Blood pressure and interfere with the glycaemic control.

He is not supposed to take it, if he wants to keep himself healthy.

He needs counselling from friends and should be convinced to attend a de-addiction clinic.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.