Over weight. Slammed safety belt on stomach. Noticed black and blue underneath the bruise. Stomach sore to touch. Should I go ER?

I am a very overweight female weighing 300 lbs. I got on a ride with my 6 year old at the fair on Friday night and when the gentleman closed the safety bar over us, it slammed into my stomach very hard. It is black and blue and feels firm underneath the bruise. About 20 minutes after we got off this ride, I almost fainted but they put some cold compresses on me and I was okay. It was about 90 degrees outside. I wonder if the fainting spell is from the trauma to the stomach or the heat. I feel fine now except for that place on my stomach that is sore to the touch and have resumed normal activity. Is this anything I need to have checked out by a local doc? Thank you!
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Hi and thank you o much for this query. I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to respond to your health questions. I am sorry to hear about what happened at this fair.

From what you described, the symptoms and the picture, I am confident saying you should not be overly worried. These spots represent small bleeds under the skin that are healing. There is really nothing to worry about. They will slowly get taken care of by the body. If the pains are bearable, then you do not need any pain medications. The firm area underneath the bruise results from the ensuing inflammatory reaction. There is NO need to see a doctor at this time unless new developments are noted in future which seems very unlikely.

I am so sorry about this overweight issue. Overweight increases your risk for illnesses like hypertension, diabetes, heart attack, stroke, renal problems, chronic back and knee pains etc. Dropping some extra weight is always a good thing to consider. If you have ever considered loosing weight, then please kindly accept the following advice on how to approach this problem.

1. weight gain results from excess calories intake than we actually spend in our daily activities. Consuming less(calories) and exercising more is very important to help you drop your weight.
2. Try not to use aggressive measures to loose weight like avoiding to eat in an entire day, keeping away from your favorite foods etc. You can eat everything, the only precaution is avoiding too much of very XXXXXXX food stuffs like fats, oils, fast foods, high energy bars etc. Encourage taking more of vegetables and food stuffs not too XXXXXXX in energy content. Aggressive measures are often poorly tolerated and you end up abandoning the treatment course.
3. Make all these changes your habits and not a conscious rules and regulations that you must stick to. Else, they soon become boring and you cannot continue to stick to.
4. Anything that enters your mouth other than water is considered food and contains calories. Please, count them when considering how much you have consumed in a day.
5. Don't expect results overnight. Be patient and progressive in your efforts.What matters most is making a downward trend and not how steep the slope is. You did not grow fat in a day and that will not reverse in a day too. Be gentle and set realistic goals.
Please, also try to XXXXXXX and talk with a dietitian who will guide you through all this. Believe me, you will feel a lot better by just loosing some weight, no matter how small it is.

I hope this answers your query fully and provides information for you to work on.
I wish you and your daughter all the best.
I wish you good health, too.
Dr. Ditah, MD.