One side of face and scalp are sensitive to touch. Took Sudafed but no help. Cause?

Hi, One side of my face and scalp are super sensitive to touch...combing hair, blinking, etc. I took a sudafed wondering if it might be a sinus problem but it has not helped.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be trigeminal neuralgia

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Sinus congestion or inflammation would result in facial pain, headache, nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing, dizziness. The pain or discomfort is not usually experienced as an increased sensitivity and though it can be unilateral, it is most commonly on both sides of the face.

Unilateral changes in sensation may be related to different causes such as trigeminal neuralgia, cluster headaches, migraines, atypical facial pain, stroke.

In trigeminal neuralgia , a person would experience abnormal sensations on one side of the face. It would be like a electric jerk or abnormal feeling that may last from a few seconds to minutes.
It is usually brought on by light touch to the area, washing, shaving, eating, talking, combing the hair etc.

You may want to consider visiting your doctor to determine whether any of the above may be contributing to your symptoms.
The assessment would involve a physical examination of the nerves in the face as well as imaging investigations.

Treatment would depend on the cause but in general consist of medications such as gabapentin, lyrica, tegretol, amitriptyline.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any additional questions