One month old does not sleep in day. Only crying and eating. Sleeps for 5 hours in night. Normal?

Pediatrician
Question
Hello. I have a 1 month old baby that wants to feed every hour during the day (everything was normal during birth and she had a 10/10 apgar). We first though she was crying due to colics, but everytime I give her the breast she stops and sucks. During the night she spleeps well, over 5 hours actually. But during the day she rarely sleeps... she is either eating or crying... is this normal? Also, sometimes I give her the breast for 30 minutes, 30 ml of my own milk (in a bottle) and then formula (60 ml) and she still looks hungry ! Is it normal for babies to eat that much?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 34 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

It is very normal for babies to demand feeds very frequently. This is the maximum growing period in an individual's life and secondly the babies stomach has a very small capacity. Hence they demand feeds frequently. Mother's milk is digested fast compared to top feeds and this is also a reason for demanding frequently. You are lucky that you child is sleeping for 5 hours at a stretch in night otherwise they demand more during the night then the day.

You can verify that the child is gaining weight adequately which should be around 500-600 gm. in a month.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: One month old does not sleep in day. Only crying and eating. Sleeps for 5 hours in night. Normal? 1 hour later
Tks for your quick answer!
And how much should a baby have per feed (breast milk and formula)I ask because she seems to have a bottomless stomach! If she is not hungry anymore she will not eat right? I know it seems like a stupid question, but I don't know weather babies can stop when they are properly fed... Tks

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 4 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

It is difficult to measure the breast feed intake unless you are expressing it and giving it to the baby. The total 24 hour intake is around 150 ml. per kg. As the present weight is not mentioned it is very difficult to say the amount that your child should be having.

Neonates will stop taking once they are full. As they grow their stomach capacity will also increase and hence they will start demanding less frequently.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you and your baby all the best.

Rajiv