On zyvox for abscess on groin abdomen area. What to treat this problem?

Sep 2012

I am on zyvox antibiotic for a possible and most likely MRSA infection which is an abscess on my groin abdomen area. I went to an infectious disease dr on Friday and was put on an intravenous antibiotic which took an hour and also given a prescription for zyvox for zyvox. It is Saturday and my abscess has come to a head and is extremely painful so painful that I can't even touch it. I had this same thing a few months ago and had to have it drained at the Gyno. Can you please tell me what I can do or what can I expect from a dr if I go to the ER or a surgeon. I refuse to have it drained again because I refuse to go thru that pain again and feel I will faint or seizure due to the pain I endured last time. Will they be able to put me asleep is there any other options I am soooo scared that I'm already shaking thinking about it. Thank you
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, I can understand your concern and I am trying my best to help you.

The infection you have described can be treated by antibiotic alone and combination of antibiotic and draining procedure. The decision can be taken only after a clinical examination.

In your case, antibiotic fails to give any result for which surgical draining is necessary. It will lower your pain due to the infection.

But you are right, sometimes, this procedure may become very painful. But, you can consult with the surgeon about general anesthesia or at least sedation. This will prevent you from experiencing pain during the procedure. These options are available.

I have suggestion for you apart from draining. Do a fasting blood sugar test. In case of diabetes, patient may present with only this type of recurrent infection. So, consult with your treating doctor about it.

Lastly, do not get scared. Everything will be alright. Just go to the Er or consult with a general surgeon. You should talk to the doctor openly about the sedation or general anesthesia and your concern about the pain during procedure.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.