On wheelchair. Overweight due to lack of exercise. Noticed swollen feet after sleep. What can be the cause?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a 67 yr. old woman, in a wheelchair (M.S.) overweight due to lack of exercise, cannot free stand or move out of the wheelchair without help. I sleep on my back so my husband can get a good nights' sleep. I have dropped feet which causes them to hurt and swell by morning. The swelling never was a problem when I slept on my side, but I can only last a couple of hours on my side and then I have to be turned. I cannot turn myself and must wake my husband to turn me. I only eat chicken, fish, vegetables,greens, beans, legumes, yogurt, red wine - diluted, some eggs and very little cheese, some dark chocolate and the odd cookie or dessert. I am changing my diet more to a vegan from vegetarian and I take medication for high blood pressure and LIORESAL-(BACLOFEN) for my M.S.
My husband rubs my feet and legs upwards towards my torso morning and night to help move the liquid. My doctor just prescribed (unwillingly) pills to remove the water from my system.
If there is anything else you could suggest, I would be grateful. My E-mail address is ( YYYY@YYYY )
Thanking you in advance, I remain, Mrs.XXXXX
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Keep yourself motivated.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I suggest you to use elastic pressure graded stockings for your legs to keep the venous blood moving from below upwards and prevents stagnation of blood which may at times end up in venous thrombosis.

Active or passive movements of all the joints in the limbs is advisable to keep them supple and avoid the formation of joint contractures.

Use cushion paddings beneath the bony prominences of the body while sitting or lying down for prolonged times inorder to prevent the formation of pressure sores.

Apart from the above measures, a few general recommendations are

* Get rid of the negative thoughts from your mind
* Get rid of the stress in your life (as much as possible)
* Get physically and mentally healthy
* Get mind and body relaxation in the form of Yoga, Taichi, Meditation etc

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further