On waking have large dark blob in vision which disappears after getting up and rubbing eyes. Suggest?

On waking I have la large dark blob in my vision each morning which disappears soon after getting up and moving about and rubbing my eyes.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 4 hours later

Thank you for writing to us,

According to the history you have provided, you are currently on medication for hypertension, hypercholesterolemia and prostatic hyperplasia with a recent history of PVD. You currently report symptoms of floaters in the mornings which are large or cloudy that gradually disappear. Knowing how long ago you had PVD and since when you are experiencing floaters would be more helpful in assessment of the present situation.

Let me shed some light on spots in vision,
Many people who tend to experience floaters can see faint grey or black regions in their vision. Floaters can be present in many shapes and sizes, like dots, specs, clouds, lines or cobweb across your eye. You may notice them only when looking at clear light surface, such as a blank wall or clear sky. Eye floaters can appear to be stationary, or they may seem to move around in your field of vision.

The eye is filled with a clear jelly-like material called vitreous gel. Light passes through this gel to fall on the retina which is at the back of the eye. Irregularities in the gel can cast a shadow on your retina, blocking areas of your vision, which you perceive as floaters. When the gel comes away from the retina it is called a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment. Old age is a very common cause of this condition. For many, a PVD happens naturally as you get older. It may regress by itself depending on the progression.

But, most importantly, the same symptoms can be a sign of a more serious problem, such as a retinal tear, which needs urgent attention. It is difficult to tell the difference between the two. If there is a sudden increase in the floaters, its size, number, if there is blurring of vision or a dark curtain-like moving up/ down /across your vision, this may mean that the retina has already partially detached.

If you have been diagnosed with a PVD it is less likely that you may develop a retinal detachment. But nonetheless it is important you get your eye checked by an ophthalmologist.

Hope this answers your question,
Write back in case of any doubts,

Dr. A. Rao. Kavoor