On various drugs, mainly citalopram, pantoprazole, oxycocet. Will these have adverse reactions?

Hi, my niece is on various drugs and I am concerned if there is a reaction or harmfaul sides effects with these drugs I shall list them for you-Sandoz-valsartan 160 mg
co-citalopram 20mg
teva-pantoprazole 40mg
teva-hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg
ratio-domperidone 10 mg
teva-trazodone 50 mg
I would greatly appreciate if all these drugs have any adverse reaction with my niece she is not her usual self. thank you waiting for your response.
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 4 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

None of the drugs used therapeutically are devoid of side effects. Similarly, not all drug interactions are harmful. Some of them are beneficial and compensate for the side effects of co administered drugs.

Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic given in the treatment of hypertension. A diuretic causes water and electrolyte depletion. Hydrochloro thiazide causes potassium depletion which can result in weakness, cramps and if severe can even cause cardiac problem. Valsartan is an angiotensin receptor blocker given in hypertension. It results in hyperkalemia (increase in potassium level) and compensates for the defect of Hydrochlorothiazide. So, this is a useful combination.

Most of the drugs given in depression can cause many side effects. But Citalopram, an SSRI and Trazadone, an atypical anti psychotic drug are well tolerated. Besides, Citalopram has a lower propensity to cause drug interactions. Citalopram and Trazadone can cause nausea and that's why Domperidone an anti emetic (drug given in nausea and vomiting) is given for her. But, these two anti depressant drugs can cause excessive sedation.

For what purpose is she taking Oxycocert (Oxycodone and Acetaminophen). Oxycodone is an opioid analgesic and is prescribed for severe pain. Is she having a severe neuropathic pain. Because Citalopram is also given for neuropathic pain. Oxycodone should not be taken regularly unless there is a severe pain. It is better avoided with Citalopram. Oxycodone can cause extreme drowsiness, dependence, mood changes, loss of appetite, blurred vision and so on.

Pantaprazole is an anti ulcer drug and is given to reduce the hyper acidity and gastritis expected with Citalopram and Trazadone.

I hope this helps. Since you have not mentioned her symptoms specifically, I am unable to explain further.
Please address to me if you have any further concerns.