On tamsulosin. Harder to achieve erection. Is there any way to counteract the ejaculation side effects and make orgasms stronger?

Jul 2016

Been on tamsulosin 0.4mg a little over a year now. It seems harder to achieve
erections usually there is little or no semen when I ejaculate. Is there some way to counteract the ejaculation side effects and make my orgasms stronger?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is due to side effect of Tamsulosin

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been taking Tamsulosin to improve your urine flow.

Tamsulosin is drug that belongs to alpha 1 blockers and has action of relaxing smooth muscles in bladder neck.

During normal process of ejaculation bladder neck is closed while sphincter of the urethra opens This prevents semen from entering into bladder and facilitates the entry of semen into urethra which is ejaculated out by contraction of urethral muscles.

However those who take Tamsulosin bladder neck remains open resulting into semen entering into bladder than it being transferred into urethra so one does not get satisfaction of ejaculation.This is called as Retrograde Ejaculation.

This is known side effect of this drug.

You can take other alpha blocker like Naftopedil which has very selective action and prevents retrograde ejaculation.

Please get the prescription of the drug from your family Physician.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you