On nexium for acid reflux. Not cured. Now feeling tired, burning in throat and stiff neck. Safe medicine?

ENT Specialist
Question
hello,good day...am XXXXXXX 27 years old,male.Have had a problem of acid reflux some years back,and i was put on nexium,after some months without improvement,i got frustrated and stopped taking any drugs.So about 5 days ago,i started having a burning feeling inside my throat,stiff neck,feeling tired.I also have difficult in talking because it affects my voice alot and it hurts really bad whenever i try to talk.

I bought an antacid 200ml Gaviscon,always taking it after meal and before going to bed.I dont have any problem in swallowin food.Sometimes the burning feeling moves to my chest and the throat own never stops all day.Its really tiring.The antacid seems not to be working for it.I dont really know what this could be,i really need help.Lastly this burning feeling inside my throat never stops all day,even when i didnt any food,or when i drink just water,it still burn.Your urgen respond will be appreciated thanks.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a videolaryngosocpy done. Signs of severe acid reflux may show up since you have change in voice and pain while speaking..

2. Get a Gastroentrologist's opinion to rule out common associated conditions such as hiatus hernia and h. pylori infection.

3. What id your weight, BMI (Body Mass Index) and do you snore or have mouth breathing?

4. Use the following measures:
a. Have small frequent meals
b. Eat at fixed times
c. Eat your meals at least 2-4 hours before lying down
d. Avoid spicy, oily and pungent foodstuff.
e. Raise the head end of your bed by about 4 inches.
f. Try other medications under medical supervision such as pantoprazole, rabeprazole, ranitidine, famotidine, sucralfate, h.pylori treatment kits and so on.
g. Avoid exposure to tobacco and alcohol.
h. Reduce stress and anxiety.

4. Esophageal manometry and pH monitoring are newer investigations which may be available.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: On nexium for acid reflux. Not cured. Now feeling tired, burning in throat and stiff neck. Safe medicine? 34 hours later
Thanks

i will get the test done,also the the voice problem seems a little better now.

If at all theres hiatus hernia or h. pylori infection,which am yet to find out.Are they curable without surgery?

i weigh 53,am a slim person,and i don't snore nor breathe through my mouth,and lastly if this should be what am thinking,i.e Gerd...is it curable with herbs?because i dont want to be on antacids or acid blocker all my life.thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Hiatus hernia may require surgery for correction. H. pylori infection requires a triple drug regimen which should be taken only under the strict supervision of your physician.

2. Anti-acidity drugs may be used safely for long term therapy. Antacids should only be used for short term relief. Besides the measures outlined above, you may take probiotics (such as Vibact or Providac), natural sources of probiotic bacteria such as lactobacillus (buttermilk), herbal remedies such as peppermint (Pudin Hara) softules.

Regards.