On metropolol and benazapril. Feeling week, tired and having stomach ache. Any suggestion?

BP is 149/93, pulse 56. Taking metropolol and benazapril. Don't feel well. Feel weak and tired. and have to lie down because these episodes make me feel like I am losing my "life force' sort of like I might faint. also have been having stomach pain that radiates up my esophogus, taking tagamet and it helps some.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
I do not think, pulmonary embolism of 2004 and its residual effects have anything to with your present symptoms.
That brings us to the present problem:
1. It could be secondary depression because of some limitation of exercise heavy activity and sports/recreation activity which you want to pursuebut can not because of hip replacement.
2. Side effects of drug speceially metoprolol. First and foremost is to exclude postural hypotension which your physician's assistant/nurse will happily do. This can be because of both drugs and treatment is adjustment of dosage and timing of intake of drug. Other,personally, I am not great fan of betablockers which metoprolol is. I read that you do get atrial fibrillation, if your doctor concur for intermittent atrial fibrillation to control another drug like diltiazem or verapamil can be given along with small dose of enteric coated aspirin. Because, betblockers cross blood brain barrier and have known to cause symptoms of fatigue, feeling low or "life force has gone out'. Why do not you discuss with your doctor about suggestion of drug change? In controlling elevated blood pressure we have no drug of choice but there is choice of drugs, so why not take benefit of this fact. Good Luck.
Your other symptom looks more likely gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and if it is controlled with OTC medications it is good.If symptoms of what I feel is GERD are not controlled a prescription drug Metochlorpropamide will help or you can try OTC drug Prilosec 20 mg tablet. Additionally, only precaution I would suggest please do not lie down immediately after meal like Dinner or siesta after lunch. If you had been exposed to too much of outside food wih doubtful hygiene in preparatin, your doctor can prescribe you a short (3) day course precription drug Tinidazole for Giardiasis/amoebiasis. If there is further query which you might have I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes:
Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM(Cardiology)z
Cardiologist and Internist
http:/ WWW.WWWW.WW