Ask a Dentist   »  

On metrogyl for a gum infection. Accidentally swallowed some of savacol mouthwash. What should I do?

I am on metrogyl for a gum infection and just swallowed some of my savacol mouthwash.. I think it has alcohol in it.. What should I do???
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 26 minutes later
Hi there,
Thank you for writing to us.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in sub-specialty of cardiology.
I read your question with diligence. Your worry is genuine, In Australia and New Zealand, usually alcohol free savacol is not that common. The described ingredients are
Chlorhexidine gluconate 2mg/ml Ethanol 115mg/ml (you can check label and correct me)

(as compare to this, hard liquors like Whiskey, Rum, Vodka or Gin contains 40 mg/ml) therefore unless you have swallowed about 20 ml, I see no reason for any reaction to take place. For you need 3 large pegs for the action to begin(personal communication by those who had it)

As per "some of mouth wash" would mean about 10 ml at the most.
The Disulfiram like effects of meterogyl reads:
Patients should be advised not to take alcohol during metronidazole therapy and for at least 48 hours afterwards because of the possibility of a disulfiram-like (antabuse effect) reaction. Psychotic reactions have been reported in patients who were using metronidazole and disulfiram concurrently.

My suggestion is to have a bland meal or fruits like banana. Nothing will happen. Only an incident to recall and caution to pass on.

If you have any follow up query, I will be most happy to answer asap.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW