On metformin 1000 mg for diabetes. What should I do?

i just texted my sugar level and it is 384 i took my metformin 1000 mg this afternoon about 2:00 and i ate about 5:00 (small salad, bowl of vegetables and 2 boiled eggs) just texted it and it is 384 what should i do
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Since the post prandial (after food) sugar level is same as that of before taking medication, it appears that the medication has a control over the blood sugars, but not optimum and not enough to reduce the baseline blood sugars.

I consider adding another group of hypoglycemic agent with metformin. A drug from Sulfonylurea or alfa glucosidase inhibitor group has to be combined in required proportions with metformin to bring the baseline sugars into control.

Discuss the same with your treating doctor and get the medications revised.

Hope I answered your query; please do ask doubts, if any.

Follow-up: On metformin 1000 mg for diabetes. What should I do? 1 hour later
the the blood sugar level did not remain the same before i ate anything today i tested it and it was 245 so i took my medication and waited then ate and then waited for about 2 and 1/2 hours and it was higher even though i didnt eat anything bad for me i have been eating all the stuff i am supposed to eat and not cheating just frustrating when i do what i am supposed to do and it is still way to high....
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Normally, even though if you do eat the food recommended for you, we do expect a spike in the blood sugar levels post meals. That is why even the normal ranges for post prandial sugars are higher (normal is <140 mg/dL) than the normal range for fasting sugars (where the levels are between 70-110 mg/dL).
But a level of 245 mg/dL is above normal and does represent less than optimal control. As I said in my previous post, Metformin alone is not helping to control the baseline blood sugars.Metformin is best drug to control post prandial(after food sugar) levels.When it fails, a combination of hypoglycemic agents would become essential.

Do discuss with your treating doctor and be placed on a combination of metformin with a drug from either of the groups I mentioned in my previous post.

Wish you good health.