On medication for tuberculosis. What is the recovery period?

Hi doc, my fiancee is suffering from tuberculosis. He was being diagnosed with it around 3-4 weeks back. And now after proper medication, their is improvement and reports are improving. He is being told by doctor that he is not infectious anymore but still has infection. I wanted to know, if we both can be physically intimate including smooching, without me being infected? Also, if not then how long do we need to wait?? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 28 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 4 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

TB is not sexually transmitted disease. A person can become infected with tuberculosis bacteria when he or she inhales minute particles of infected sputum from the air. The bacteria get into the air when someone who has a tuberculosis lung infection coughs, sneezes, shouts, or spits. No doubt the risk factors for acquiring TB include close-contact situations, alcohol and IV drug abuse.

As the doctor have mentioned that he is non infectious that means his sputum is negative for micro bacterium tuberculosis and sputum negative persons are non infectious. Even people with extra pulmonary TB that is TB outside the lung are also non infectious, like that of TB pleura, is covering of lung.

Your fiancee fall in either of the two condition. But person with TB should complete the course of medication meticulously.

As mentioned if your fiancee is non infectious you can be physical. I advice him for proper medication and sputum examination as advised by consulting doctor.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.