On medication for mild hypertension. Is it safe to climb mountain under these circumstances?

I am interested in climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro - an altitude of 19,454 feet but am on medication for mild hypertension is it safe to climb a mountain under these circumstances?
I am very fit and have been training for 5 months doing intense climbing in local area and jogging regularly.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
1. Mild hypertension in its own is not a contraindication for mountain climbing neither it predisposes to altitude sickness. However it may be related to many changes in your heart which may compromise your capacity to climb. Hypertension causes thickening of wall of heart leading to decrease flexibility of heart muscle. This leads to decrease exercise capacity and much earlier development of shortness of breath than controls (those who do not have such changes in heart).
2. The drugs you are taking for hypertension also needs consideration. You may have to take some drugs like furosemide or acetazolamide during your ascent. If your current drugs are compatible with these drugs, need to be ascertained.
3. You must visit your cardiologist and specifically discuss this issue with him and also get the relevant tests (like ECHO, stress testing, kidney profile etc) before you finalize your plan for mountaineering.
I hope everything will come out fine.
Best of Luck.
Follow-up: On medication for mild hypertension. Is it safe to climb mountain under these circumstances? 47 minutes later
I am currently on perindopril (Coversyl) 5mg daily, how would this react to furosemide or acetazolamide?
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acetazolmide- No significant interaction but fur.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
1. Are you sure it is 5 mg? It is usually prescribed in 4 or 8 mg dosage.
2. Acetazolmide does not have significant interactions with perindopril but the blood pressure lowering effect may be enhanced a bit. However it is more correct for furosemide which is much more efficacious diuretic and can lead to significant lowering of blood pressure in some individuals. On the other hand, their concomitant use is not prohibited. You must tell your physician/ cardiologist to whom you will approach for a medical clearance/ fitness regarding your hypertension and treatment both.
Sukhvinder Singh