On lexapro for anxiety. Experiencing headache, puffy eyes and tightness. Worrisome

Nov 2013

I am 28 year old female and otherwise healthy. Only medications I take is 5 mg of Lexapro daily, originally for anxiety, but also used to prevent migraines. The symptoms I am experiencing are puffy eyes and tightness behind them, with frequent headaches in the frontal and temporal areas. Also temporal tenderness with palpation bilaterally. I get frequent headaches, but not usually with the tightness and puffy eyes. I also feel as if its hard to concentrate at times due to the tightness and frequently tired.

Thank you
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 48 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The current symptoms in your case are most likely due to muscle tension headache, also referred to as tension headache. Some people can have mixed headache, with a combination of features of migraine and tension headache.

If lexapro was helping you earlier, you could increase the dose. Other options include using divalproex or Topiramate for headache prevention.

For relief of headache now, you could take analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist