On hydroxycut, hair loss. Suggest.

I'm 26 male with no family history of balding, and about 2.5 months ago started using Hydroxycut, a fat burner. About a month ago or so I started noticing significant shedding of my hair. I stopped Hydroxycut about a month ago, and have continued to see hair shedding. If this is the sole cause of the shedding, how long should it last?

Also, I think I'm starting to see miniaturization as the hairs I lost a month ago try and grow back, as they seem colorless and very thin. It's not a huge issue now, but is it possible for the hair growth to not come back or come back as peach fuzz instead of my previous hair?

Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 51 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. Hydroxycut has never been approved by FDA as a weight-loss supplement, and as of 2009, the FDA had received 23 complaints of liver damage, including elevated liver enzymes, an indicator of potential liver injury. There are no any official reports that Hydroxycut is associated with hair loss but with severe weight loss, hair loss is not uncommon.

The miniature hair growing can be due to hair entering into the resting or telogen stage. The growth cycle of hair is in two phases, anagen or growth phase and telogen or resting phase.

During stress or when the immune system of the body is lowered many hair enter the telogen phase at the same time and can be shed. Hair takes between 3 and 6 months to re-enter into growth phase, so the restoration is a bit slow.

The texture of hair will be similar to the hair that you were having earlier.

I advise you to stop taking the weight loss supplements. First of all, give your diet an overhaul if you're lacking vital nutrients for growth and switch to foods for healthy hair like food XXXXXXX in protein, vitamins(mainly vit A and vit C) and other micronutrient like zinc, iron and copper. Also eat a healthy balanced meal, use mild shampoo and lather gently and rub gently with towel to dry you hair.
Try and avoid using blow dryers.
Biotin is present in foods like eggs and liver and is considered good for hair growth. So in addition to these foods, biotin supplements can be taken.
There are many medications to improve hair loss like finasteride, dutasteride and topically applied minoxidil but these are available only under prescription. In that case you have to consult a dermatologist or trichologist (hair expert).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: On hydroxycut, hair loss. Suggest. 12 hours later
Thanks for the response!

So when you say 3 to 6 months, is that from the time when the 'shock' hits the body (e.g. from the time when i was taking the hydroxycut) or 3 to 6 months from when the hair falls out when it's in resting stage?

in other words, after a hair falls out, how long should i expect a normal hair to regrow behind it? Is it normal for regrowth to be peach fuzz hair and then turn into normal hair? Or if I have peach fuzz hair in regrowth do you think that my be a sign of male pattern baldness?

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

3-6 months is the time which takes for restoration of hair by entering into the growth phase after the hair loss has started.

It is normal to find short miniature fuzzy hair in telogen effluvium. Depending on the duration of hair loss, close examination of the scalp may reveal a higher than expected number of short new hairs growing and this growth may be fuzzy and short and then turn into normal hair eventually.

Growth of peach fuzzy hair does not indicate male pattern baldness which typically occurs in M shaped pattern and there is receding frontal hairline. You should expect atleast 3-4 months for normal hair to start regrowing. In the meantime you can take the supplements which I have mentioned above to help in fast regrowth.