On cough syrup for bronchitis. Ear felt clogged and have hearing loss. What is going on?

ENT Specialist
I had bronchitis about two weeks ago. I was giving a z-pack and some cough syrup. The cough subsided, but I went back to the doctor because my left ear felt clogged and I have hearing loss in that ear. Dr. saw no fluid in the ear and recommended I take Sudafed 24 for 10 days, along with flonase and singular. The hear loss is getting worse. Whats is going on?
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 25 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since your hearing loss is getting worse, have a repeat ear examination done and a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) done.

2. Confirm whether you have a Conductive Hearing Loss (CHL). Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SNHL) should be ruled out as it requires urgent treatment. Alternately, Tuning Fork Tests may be done in the ENT OPD.

3. Regular steam inhalation is one of the best and simplest ways to keep the Eustachian Tubes healthy and functioning. Take this along with your medication. Use an OTC nasal decongestant drop such as Otrivin in your left nostril twice a day for a couple of days.

4. You may wait a couple of days before you proceed to see if spontaneous recovery takes place. Kindly share the test results here. If they are normal, no treatment is necessary. If they are abnormal, I will be able to recommend further treatment. If you wait very long, any trapped fluid may thicken to a glue like consistency and not be able to drain into the nose. Sometimes there is no fluid, but there is a negative pressure in the middle ear.

5. There is no cause for worry. Eustachian tube dysfunction is very common.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.