On birth control pills. Now trying to get pregnant. Will the pills cause any side effect?

Mar 2016

After my period this month I am going to stop taking my birth control pills as we want to have a baby, I know that certain birth controls like Mirena IUD cause two eggs to drop the first cycle after its removed. My question is, will stopping my pills have this same effect? I'd rather not have twins...
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there is quite chance of twin pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, there is quite a chance (near about 10%) of twin pregnancy in the first few menstrual cycles if you want to conceive immediately after stopping birth control pill. Also history of of non-identical twins from maternal side is a risk factor for upcoming off-spring. It is also seen with using of ovulation induction drugs and other contraceptive method like IUD etc.

If you want to reduce chances or avoid twin pregnancy, it is a good idea to wait for at least 3 months till you regain your full fertility naturally. In this time, you can take folic acid & vitamin supplements with balanced diet. It will help to develop better fetal nervous system in early weeks & avoid Neural Tube Defect (NTD).

Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health. Good luck.

Dr Soumen