On birth control. Feeling severe pain and bloated. HPT positive. Does fibroid cause false positive result?

Hello there,

My girlfriend has been on birth control for many years now. Gets a shot every 3-4 months. Sh ehas been having some terrible pains and a bloated belly for around 6 weeks, They put her on progesterone which is making her ill. I suggested a home pregnancy test. It came back as positive. The doctors feel it is fibroids however we just found out the pregnancy results today. Is it possible that the fibroids would cause a false positive?
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
The symptoms of fibroids are very different.It can be easily diagnosed with a ultrasound. On the other hand, the pregnancy test needs to be re confirmed since she was already of depot provera shots for many years. Usually amenorrhea may occur on long term use. I suggest that she repeat the pregnancy test again after a week.
If its positive,then further management can be advised.
You also need to know that fibroids and pregnancy can exist at the same time. Usually its not a problem.
Follow-up: On birth control. Feeling severe pain and bloated. HPT positive. Does fibroid cause false positive result? 21 minutes later
Thank you for the prompt response. She had blood work done about 10-14 days ago, which she then was prescribed treatment for the fibroids. Wouldnt the blood test show she was pregnant? Her belly is quite bloated at this time and she appears to be 6 months plus pregnant. I would think the doctors she is seeing would do a pregnancy test as well as blood work
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 hours later
The pregnancy test would have been done only if she had amenorrhea or as indicated by her history.I cannot say what your doctors had suspected at that time.But i suggest that you do repeat the urine pregnancy test again.
If the ultrasound report shows that she has fibroids,then it should have shown a pregnancy also.
Take this step by step.First repeat the pregnancy test.If its negative then fine,only treatment of the fibroid is needed.If its positive,then you need to consider the possibility of the pregnancy with fibroid.Its not unheard of.The type and number of fibroids are important in this matter. I suggest that the do the tests first and go from there.