On Keflex for tick infection, have developed severe body rash. What can cure this?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been taking Keflex for a tick infection and developed severe red body rash. What can "cure" rash? I have stopped KEFLEX and tick infection is better.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 56 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

You should stop Keflex of course and never take it or any other cephalosporine again. Rash would subside in short time 24-48 hours, but ask your GP for antihistamine drug if rash progresses or persists more than 2 days. Also ask for some mild topical corticosteroid which you should apply on area of rash but take it in consultation with doctor or pharmacist.

For pain relief and itchiness you can have bath in moderately cool water and after this apply some of home remedies such as: olive oil or cod liver oil, toothpaste, oatmeal, chamomile tea, aloe vera, blanch nettle leaves, XXXXXXX and mint Leaves.

If you experience breathing difficulties, dizziness, vision disorders or heart palpitation you should go to ER.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I will be glad to help.