On Clondine for controlling Blood pressure. Wanted to switch to Edarbyclor or Amlopine. Suggest?

I have ato make a choice between trying a new blood pressure med. It is between 40/12 mg. Of Edarbyclor or 10 mg of Amlopine . I am on .1mg 3times a day of Clondine and it's not holding my blood pressure down. I know once I take the other drugs it will be hard to change, etc.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 30 minutes later
Dear Gaustafson

Thanks for writing to WWW.WWWW.WW

The choice between Edarbyclor (azilsartan+chlorthalidone) and amlodipine is an academic matter or a matter of preference of physician; because they belong to two different groups of blood pressure lowering drugs, both of which can be used with equal benefits as per guidelines.
One important contraindication (conditions where use is forbidden) for Edarbyclor is pregnancy which is out of question in your case and second relative contraindication could be renal failure with a creatinine of more than 2.5mg% which you have not mentioned. Another important precaution could be serum potassium levels which should not be high, as this drug may further increase these levels.
There are no trials done with azilsartan which showed any morbidity benefit (reduction in stroke/heart attack); but there are many trials, showing benefits, with other drugs of same class.
Both these drugs, forming this combination may predispose to hyponatremia or low sodium levels in few patients in old age. otherwise it is a very good combination.

Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker and is time-tested drug for control of hypertension. It has very good compliance and only disturbing side effect which occurs with some frequency is swelling feet.

There are no head-to-head trials available for these two drugs. Therefore I would like you to discuss these things with your physician with all the factors, as there is no clear-cut winner and make an informed choice.

Please feel free to discuss further.

sukhvinder XXXXXXX