Omeprazole has caused itching and burning of the vulva. After stopping itch went quickly. Suggest?

omeprazole has caused itching and burning of the vulval area. When I stopped taking it thew itch went quickly.Other friends have had the same experience.
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A side-effect

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Skin rash is a possible side-effect of omeprazole. Since it is coming and going the use of this medicine, it is most probably due to it. There have been many cases that have been reported similarly. It is better to not take the medicine. It is nothing much to be worried about.

If the symptoms re-occur or persist despite not taking the medicine, then you will need to see a doctor. Since it may also be a fungal infection secondary to uncontrolled diabetes, I will suggest that you may get your blood sugar levels checked.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee