Often drink glasses of Vodka with water and started leaking bowels. Related?

I often drink 3-4 ! oz. glasses of Vodka with a water. Since I started that, my bowels leek out without me even
knowing it. Is this alcohol related/
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is due to alcohol -know as alcoholic neuropathy

Detailed Answer:

I am dr. XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concern.

Prolonged intake of alcohol will damage the nerves and its most likely a cause of your issue.

The damage is known as alcoholic neuropathy.

Thanks for the query and feel free to contact me in case of any concern.

Follow-up: Often drink glasses of Vodka with water and started leaking bowels. Related? 16 hours later
will stop drinking make it better?
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stopping alcohol will help to stop progress.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back, here is how it works.

Thiamine, folate, niacin, vitamins B6 and B12, and vitamin E are all needed for proper nerve function. Drinking too much can alter levels of these nutrients and affect the spread of alcoholic neuropathy. Fortunately, abstaining from alcohol can help restore your nutritional health. This may improve your symptoms and help prevent further nerve damage. However, some alcohol-induced nerve damage is permanent.

I would advice you to take multivitamins and slowly get rid of alcohol that too under physician's supervision, since you have been a long term alcoholic so your system is adopted for alcohol and if you suddenly cut the cord it will have huge toll on you health. Please start tapering it under medical advice.

Thanks again, feel free to contact me.
Follow-up: Often drink glasses of Vodka with water and started leaking bowels. Related? 1 hour later
I am embarrassed to speak to my doctor. Can I treat myself with the vitamins you mentioned and start eating better? Alcoholism runs in my family but I never thought I'd succumb to it. Please give more advice if you can.
Thanks so much! You could be saving my life!
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surely vitamins and Tapering alcohol will help.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back, I can surely help. But the result will vary on your determination to quit alcohol.

1) I need you to tell me exact amount of alcohol you drink?
2) Is it daily or intermittent / occasional?
3) What happens if you missed a drinks for a day?
4) How much change is comfortable for you ?
5) What is your diet habits , provide me the list of things from morning breakfast to dinner. How much you take and what you take?

I will need to answer above mentioned question and I will see how much will it help. Mean while I need to look into other your health history.

1) do you take any medication?
2) any hereditary diseases running in family?
3) you last physical exam's blood reports?

Please answer above questions so I can have bit bigger picture of you health.

Thanks again,