Occasional drinker and smoker. Noticed brown stains on the pillow case. Should I be concerned?

Jun 2013
I keep noticing brown stains on the pillow case when waking up in the morning. I do smoke and often drink red wine befire bed. Could that cause it or could it be dried blood. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 1 hour later
Hi there ~

I understand your concern. Being a 66 year old male who has problems with noticing brown stains on the pillow case is a very concerning issue. I am glad you do not smoke. However, I wonder if you have had a nocturnal vomitus staining your bed since you had red wine. If this is not the case and you suspect that it may be blood. Please take the stain or any discharge that looks that color to a doctor to have it tested. It is concerning if you have blood in your cough or in your vomitus. It may have graver repercussions. I would advise you to see a gastroenterologist and an internist specializing in respiratory diseases to relieve any anxiety you may have regarding the possibility of the stains being blood. I hope this helps.

Take care and have a lovely day!