Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Are there any interactions between my medications and hoodia gordonii?

I am a 28 year old male with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) since childhood. I am taking 400 mg of Fluvoxamine (Luvox, Faverin) and 3 mg of Risperidone (Risperdal) daily. I also take an omega-3 supplement and a multivitamin. I am planning to take hoodia gordonii for weight loss.
Are there any interactions between my medications or supplements and hoodia gordonii?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 1 hour later

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

Since the active ingredient in hoodia gordonii is metabolized by the liver, and both fluoxetine and resperidone are also metabolized by the liver, in theory there could be an interaction whereby blood levels of any of the three substances could be increased or even decreased (by activation of the enzymes that break down the drugs).

Although it is not certain that herbal diet products contain enough of the active ingredient from hoodia gordonii to cause an effect, there is no way to know for certain, because diet supplements are generally not standardized for quantity of ingredients.

Another important point to make is that a person who is taking prescription medication should not take other drugs, including non-prescription herbal supplements, without first discussing it with the prescribing physician.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz
Follow-up: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Are there any interactions between my medications and hoodia gordonii? 42 hours later
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I am aware that there could be, in theory, interactions in the liver due to the chemicals' effects on the liver enzymes, but my question is whether there are any known specific enzyme-related interactions in the liver involving hoodia gordonii and my medications, Fluvoxamine (not Fluoxetine) and Risperidone? Or any other kind of known specific interaction?
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 18 hours later

I am unaware of any specific enzyme related interactions with the 3 components – hoodiaia gordonii, fluvoxamine and resperidone. I’ve also searched the Pub Med literature database and drug-drug interaction databases and found no specific liver enzyme-related interactions among the three.

I hope this helps answer your question. Do accept this answer if you do not have any other queries.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz