Nursing mother. Trying to conceive. Feeling drowsy with hazy eyes. Pregnancy symptoms or ovulation?

Mar 2013
Hi i am trying to conceive again and am still breastfeeding my toddler at night who is 16 months old. Have not had a return of my period but feel i have been ovulating for the past months. I have Been using a home ovulation kit to test this where I saw a surge for 2 days and was also doing basal body temp I also noticed a dip before the surge and then a slight increase. We had sex on the day of the second surge. Before the surge 5 days ago i felt very drowsy with hazey eyes. and notice this every month. it's 3 days past now sex and am feeling very drowsy with hazey eyes again. Could this be pregnancy or just ovulation. I have always experienced this feeling during ovulation in the past with my other children. Anxious to know what hormones cause this.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 54 minutes later
Progesterone is the hormone that induces sleep, while oestrogen energises and induces wakefulness .
Before , during and after ovulation, progesterone surge occurs and progesterone levels rise, so it's very probable that you did ovulate around that time.
Also, the ovulation test kit and the temperature surge also support that.
Confirmatory would be follicular monitoring with ultrasound and documentation of ovulation therein.
However, if you are anxious to conceive, you should stop breastfeeding, as that interferes with normal ovulation.
Wish you all the best with your next baby.
Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Nursing mother. Trying to conceive. Feeling drowsy with hazy eyes. Pregnancy symptoms or ovulation? 26 minutes later
Thank you for your advice it seams that I may have targeted ovulation and this is why I feel this way. I usually get very early symptoms if pregnant so I guess I will find out soon anyway. I had heard of plenty of people falling pregnant whilst breastfeeding so didn't think it was a problem falling especially after the 12 month mark? But because my period has not returned yet at 16 months past labour does this suggest that I don't ovulate? Bit confused there.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Well, yes, pregnancy while breastfeeding is entirely possible, but stopping lactation
ensures regular periods and ovulation.
Ovulation is possible without return of periods, and is typical while breastfeeding.
That is often how unplanned pregnancies result.
Similarly, you can also menstruate without ovulation.
To plan the next child properly, stopping lactation would help coordinate the two.